Strict Standards: mktime(): You should be using the time() function instead in /nfs/c01/h07/mnt/33865/domains/photobooth.net/html/forum/extensions/LatestDiscusssionsPrime/default.php on line 76

Strict Standards: mktime(): You should be using the time() function instead in /nfs/c01/h07/mnt/33865/domains/photobooth.net/html/forum/extensions/LatestDiscusssionsPrime/default.php on line 76

Photobooth.net Forum - Looking to find more pictures of classic PB

PHOTOBOOTH DISCUSSION

• CommentAuthorfossil
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2005

I'm interested in seeing if anyone has better pictures of a particular photobooth from the late 1970's. It was called Face Place (not the new one made in New Jersey). I have found some distant, blurry photos of one of the booths, taken in the spring of 1980 in an arcade in Penn Station, New York. The arcade no longer exists, and no other info seems to be anywhere on the web. Here are links to the images, as I can't seem to post them here to the forum:

Image 1
    Image 2
    • CommentAuthorBrian
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2005

What a fascinating, tantalizing couple of images. I'ver personally never heard of the "Face Place," but we'll keep our eyes out for any information about it. Did it have any other distinguishing characteristics? Did it produce photostrips or single images, and were they different than what we'd see today, or was it just the name that was unique? And have you been in touch with Photo-Me to see if they might have any information on the people who made it?

Brian
    Photobooth.net
    • CommentAuthorfossil
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2005

I know very little about it, actually. There is nothing on the website of the current Face Place incarnation that mentions any previous booths with that name. I have tried contacting them but have gotten no response. The web site is here for your perusing pleasure:

Face Place Photo
    • CommentAuthorVan
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2005

I remember the FacePlace booths.
    They were made by Polaroid.
    They delivered an SX70 photo.
    Probably why they didn't last.
    • CommentAuthorfossil
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2005

OK, well, that makes sense, because I haven't seen ANY other info about them. I was looking for pictures of the booth itself. Any ideas?
    • CommentAuthorVan
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2005

I can't find any.

Did find this tidbit while searching Google:

Conversion of machines to produce other products. Polaroid used its film assembly machines to manufacture products other than consumer instant film. Polaroid also converted some film assembly machines to new processes or new integral products, such as "faceplace," a batteryless film used in photo booths, and "autofilm," a commercial product designed for use with computer terminals. Some machines were also converted to produce Spectra film and integral film with a capless cartridge. Polaroid's analysis of non-scheduled time assumed that machine downtime for making products other than integral film would have been deferred or eliminated entirely to make more time available for instant film production. Kodak claims that there is no reason to believe that Polaroid would have passed up the opportunity to develop its non-consumer film business in order to make more integral film. I agree. In fact, at the time autofilm was introduced in 1984, Polaroid was making a concerted effort to expand its commercial and industrial business, which by then generated forty percent of the company's revenues. Polaroid has also not accounted for any profits it earned on the sale of non-integral products. Faceplace was sold throughout the infringement period. There is particularly strong disagreement about whether Polaroid would have put off the capless conversion of its integral film. This conversion would have molded the end cap, the flap which covered the opening of the film "box," into the film cartridge in order to prevent it from breaking off and ruining the camera. Moreover, end cap production problems were the number one cause of assembly machine downtime. The request for capital funds for the capless conversion also claimed that the molded end cap would improve the way the chemicals were distributed across the film when the pod was burst. The net associated cost savings from capless conversion was projected to be in the order of $900,000 per 100 million units.
    • CommentAuthorfossil
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2005

Yeah, I actually looked on the Polaroid site, and there is a brief mention of a few of their approved repair locations still accepting Face Place for repairs. I suppose if I really want to find out more I will have to contact Polaroid. Thanks all!
    • CommentAuthorRobert
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2008

I have actually posted one here.

face place pic